Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default First Revolution Images

The first pictures of the new Nintendo Revolution are beginning to circulate. As promised, the machine looks sleek and techy, and as reported previously on SPOnG, the machine is about the size of three DVD cases stacked together. It’s also been confirmed that the console takes standard size DVDs, and that it will be able to play movie DVDs.

There’s been further talk too about the machine’s WiFi capabilities. As well as presumably offering wireless connectivity to the DS or new Game Boy Advance, a free online service will offer player-matching and a huge array of Nintendo’s game back catalogue will be available for download - everything from Donkey Kong to Mario Sunshine. It hasn’t been made clear what price, if any, users will have to play to download these games.

As for the machine’s power, there’s still no solid figures available. The claimed specs for PS3 are more than thirty times more powerful than the PS2, whilst the Xbox 360 is - if it remains as it is - around 10 times more powerful than its predecessor. But as with the Gamecube, Nintendo are sticking with a far more modest machine spec. Speaking to USA Today, Perrin Kaplan of Nintendo said that the Revolution would be just two or three times more powerful than the ‘Cube, dismissing the ‘turbo power’ of rival consoles as no substitute for intelligent design. He also said that the focus in the Revolution’s development had been to make the unit attractive to use for developers and gamers, or ‘all access gaming’ as he called it. Kaplan went on to mention that the Revolution, far more than the new super PCs masquerading as consoles, was about staying true to the ‘soul of gaming’.

So there you have it. As you'd expect from a product designed by Nintendo, it looks good. But as you've also come to expect, Japan's old hands aren't obsessed with cubic capacity.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: First Revolution Images

sounds...erm.....exciting ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

it does sound a bit and certainlyo looks a bit tame compared to the recent 360 + PS3 announcements doesnt it.

Lets hope we see some games in action for it at e3, and that they live up to the 360 + PS3 movies we've seen

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't like how Nintendo play down the power so much. Power has a huge effect on sales even if not on the games! Remember, the n64 declared its power in its name (64 bit, when the general games playing market thought the bit rate was everything) its that valuable a marketing tool! I worry that even if the console can match up to the others, that it will lose out on sales and, regardless of games, suffer the inevitable fate of the dreamcast and gamecube before it. They should make as many previous games (Gamecube backwards) as possible available for free download. Feel free to argue with me but I think a move like that could indirectly win the console war because it would give the Revolution a huge user base from the start (so many people would buy a console that comes, effectively, with 100's of quality games for free).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm got to agree, possibly not a good move with the 'only 3 times as powerful' and only standard DVD's? (unless of course it will utilise Blu Ray?),

but in time we shall tell, with the power of the PS3 etc... do you need that much processing power? how much of a difference will it make? at the end of the day it's down to the Graphics chip and Ram mainly.

However I stick by Nintendo and i'm sure I wont be dissapointed.

Onto your comment about free cube games now. This will never happen, software companies would never allow it. How often do you see free games on front of Console magazines nowadays? PC games yes but never console ones..... and take into consideration the quality of Cube games, Resident Evil series, Mario Party's etc.. you would never need to buy any new games as these are quality titles and will be for years to come the same as Super Mario on the SNES is to mention a few others too!.
    Last edited by Goldberg; 17th May 2005 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree with most of wha you say there. Nintendo have the talent, they really need to stop playing liek kids and get the gloves on and fight hard, they can do it, dont knwo why they have nto done it and NEED to do it to stay in the console market. Woudl hate to see them go the same way as sega.

Cheers......Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree yet again , would hate for them to do a Sega, BUT how many people would buy Mario Kart for the PS3 or Xbox 360 if they could.......... I feel Nintendo may be getting ready for the future and sticking in the Hand Held market......

Time will tell, as the above states it is not confirmed details yet, only chinese whispers so lets wait and see.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Possibly the new Logo for the Revolution??

Thanks
    Karma Level

revolution looks pretty sweet.

I look forward to gawping at this console as although it may not appear as powerful as the ps3 or xbox360 the games should still have a higher ratio of fun:boring so I dont care as I have faith that nintendo won't pull a sega (ok there's a slight bit of doubt,I do hope they dont fall behind in the revolution of games consoles).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the idea of the downloading of backcatalog of games, this is something that was mentioned by Nintendo many years ago when the Snes was around (d/l by satelite was the idea), BUT I dont think it should be what they are basing the unit around!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some more pics:

Thanks
    Karma Level

...anyone else just staring at the blue slot loading drive....

thanks for the pics, it looks better than the ps and xbox at the moment, but things may change.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah we seen nothing of the Plastation 3 until today, and I can see why they kept it a secret!!

No going back now, they will have to stick with the Breeze Block design, until the bring out the PS3 Slimline model in a couple of years time, grrrr......

Thanks
    Karma Level

it looks like a nice little console to be honest, but as for the specs i really cant see it competing against the xbox360 or especially the PS3. There is a need for this much power as the first games released on a new console may be good but they wont be the best graphically. As time goes by, game manufacturers will realise the power that they can play with and eventually bring out some top class games. For example early games for the PS2 only used around 50-60% of its processing power but now with the likes of GT4 thats almost, if not, 100% of its power.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: First Revolution Images

[QUOTE=shangrula]...anyone else just staring at the blue slot loading drive....QUOTE]

yes i am, looks really cool!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nintendo`s mainly about the games tho, what other machine can you play Mario, Zelda, Smash Bro`s, F-Zero, Metroid etc.

Must say, my jaw dropped at some of the PS3 images, and Ninty will have to pull of something pretty major to even the odds, as for the Xbox 360, the lack of top quality first party games may hurt it, only Perfect Dark Zero (originally scheduled for Cube) looks much good.

Oh and as for the downloadibg, it may be more of the old back catalouge of games, such as Nes/Snes/GB/GBA game, face it, who wouldnt have Nintendo emulator of somesort if it was free to download!

Oh and some pics, if you aint already seen em:

Just show us the games!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

more nintendo revolution info is located @
    Last edited by marcode; 17th May 2005 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Live streaming to the Nintendo conference below!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm well looking forward to this console, i've downloaded the Xbox 360 video from MTV which was terribly put together (why were the killers there again? i like 'em but what's the point in being there for the new xbox premiere?), Perfect Dark Zero looked good but i was not blown away to be honest & i own an xbox. I prefer my GC load's more & i reckon Nintendo will be better than all the other consoles, they did well with GC considering it was there first non cartridge based console, i don't think Sega ever did that well with a disc based system with Saturn, Dreamcast, MegaCD, they all kinda didn't do too well if i recall, so i definitely don't think The Big N will fall down like Sega in the console wars, they have as much chance as M$, but i think ps3 will win it with the Blu-Ray technology... not because of the game's there gonna make using 'em but mainly because of the amount of carboot sale's you're see selling 15 ps2 game's on 1 blu-ray disc or something but i personally think The Revolution is gonna be the winner for me, it is so far & i ain't even seen much yet.

MHX

Thanks
    Karma Level

that is one fucking sexy bit of hardware.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast