Close

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Anyone interested in Archeology

Take a look and contribute in here :

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone interested in Archeology

I always take the kids fossil hunting when we go to Whitby.

Thanks
    Karma Level

nice one

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes I am. When I was a child I recall my friends gave the usual "police", "fireman" etc. answer to the question what they wanted to do as grownups. I wanted to be an archeologist, it's true. I have participated in a few excavations as well, in my then hometown of Turku Finland. They were doing the foundations for this new development in the city center and found parts of the late 17th century town. The area was then at the shore of the river Aura, though the river bank of course today has moved quite a lot. They asked for volunteers, and what can be the greatest thing than to dig for treasure at the age of 10 when the rest of my sucker friends were sitting in class?

I found leather shoes, decorated mirrors, pipes like these
    and even a razor blade. Some of the items are still on display in the Turku castle, which I'm proud of

I wanted to study archaeology, but wanted to specialize in Egyptology only. That was not available at the university of Turku and only in the capital Helsinki. Back then moving to Helsinki seemed like a big thing, another world almost, so I didn't make the move. I actully later regretted my decision (this was when I had lived in Holland and came back to live in Finland) and I even wrote a letter to Dr. Zahi Hawass (anyone who is a true enthusiast knows who this guy is) where I asked if he would take me on an intern program there (got to show initiative right?). I later received a letter from some admin person, "we regret to inform you.." . So I then took a few jabs at some other career options, e.g. wanted to become a pilot and was already packing my bag to move to the US, North Carolina, only to be told by the bank that they would not approve my loan. So, I then decided to move to Dublin and work in IT, just as exciting

So there you go, still very interested in all these things. Agatha Christie once said -
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her."
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Category:

Posted on: February 16, 2010 8:20 AM, by

The respected Finnish archaeology annual Fennoscandia Archaeologica has gone on-line!
    is now available for free on the web site of the Archaeological Society of Finland. It's a great resource for scholars. For instance, the volume for 2007 includes seven largely critical debate pieces on the Susiluola cave that has been interpreted as Scandinavia's first Middle Palaeolithic site. Are there in fact any modified lithics from that cave? Or is it all eoliths and wishful thinking?
    Apparently, this does not however mean that Fennoscandia is an Open Access journal (yet). The issues for 2008 and 2009 have appeared in print but are not on the site. Extrapolating from the fact that the 2007 issue went on-line now, it seems the journal is operating with a 2.5-year lag for its on-line archive and that we can look forward to the 2008 issue being posted next winter.

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.