I live in the middle of all of this stuff ie I live in west/central Scotland. I have mates who support Celtic and Mates who support Rangers. The thing is when it comes to their team they are NEVER wrong. They will defend their own supporters actions no matter how bad with one of the following phrase's " Well what about them" "They are worse than us" "We are being unfairly targeted" "It's the media" "It's celitc/rangers fans in disguise" "It's english fans in disguise".
The trouble is these guys are "normal" when you talk about anything other than football/religion. It is really amazing that such normally level headed guys can actually be so blind as to not see how bloody embarrassing the actions of their "own" are.
Believe it or not things have improved ten fold since I was a lad so I would admit some progress has been made, But rather than sit back and pat themselves on the back for how well they have moved forward the big two should be building on what they have done. It will take a generation though.